Saturday, July 18, 2009

No More Cowbell (7/13/09)

From No More Cowbell

Trip: Murter to Paklenica National Park
Distance: 63 miles (101.6 km!)
Difficulty: Easy – for it being 63 miles
Sights: Maslenica Bridge, More Croatian Coast
Pedaling Time: 5 hours, 22 minutes
Elapsed Time: 7 hours, 45 minutes

Well, it was only a matter of time.

A few years ago, Greg’s old MMA – fighting roommate brought a cowbell to one of our parties. I forget why. He left it there and I had used it to announce the patriots scoring (sometimes).

Anyways, I took it Europe. “Why?” you may ask. No real reason. So I strapped this thing to the side of my trailer. It made a cool noise as I rode over bumpy roads, and warned me when I was going too slow (the pull and push of the trailer caused the cowbell to ring at around 4-5 mph).

Checking my gear on the ferry between Ancona and Split, I noticed the bell had come a bit loose. The bit that you hung it from had come off on one side. In Split, I made some adjustments, but you could tell it would come off eventually.

Sure enough, about 12 km outside of Zadar, I heard a distinct clunk and looked back just in time to see the bell get run over by a caravan with French plates.



Nothing more to report really. It was the fifth time I have done more than 100km in a day on this trip.

I’m currently at a camp outside Starigrad. Tomorrow, I’m checking out Paklenica National Park, before heading off to Plitvicka Jezera on Wednesday.

Tino Pai!
Jesse…

No comments:

Post a Comment