Monday, July 6, 2009

High Diving Poros (6/25/09)

From High Diving Poros


The whole trip started with a random question. Damien asked Manu: “is there any rock anywhere where people jump into the sea?”

“I’ve seen them do it in Poros.”

“Really?” I asked. “Is it near the port or the town?”

“It’s on the point between the town and the port.”

Damien and I decided to ride up to Poros with the exclusive mission to jump off these said rocks.

By morning, I was less interested in the trip. But, by noon, when Damien had recruited the remaining members of Team Turtle, I was ready to go.

Instead of riding up, we chose to hitchhike. Ellie, Damien and Florian left first on the Katelios – Skala – Poros Road. Then Ariel and I left; while Mia and Cecilia chose to wait a bit and finish lunch.

Ariel and I decided to take the Argostoli – Poros Road. (Let me rephrase, I decided we should take.) The belief was that it was the main road and we could get more hitches.

Once we had got into Poros, Ariel and I went to the beach and saw three Greek teenagers jumping from a small pier. So we climbed up there from the beach. We had beat the first group of hitchers from Base Camp Turtle to the site. The third group came quickly after us, however, so: 6 of 1; half a dozen of the other.

The jump from the pier was only about 5 meters into the calm waters of Poros Harbor. Ariel, who had never jumped into water from higher than the side of the pool, jumped twice to her and our delight.

After an hour or so we all started filtering back to Mavrata. Ariel and I made it quite quickly on the Poros – Skala Road, thanks in part to a Orthodox priest driving a beat-up late 80s Cintron.

From High Diving Poros

No comments:

Post a Comment