Monday, July 6, 2009

A Knight’s Tale (6/22/09)

To paraphrase Johnny Cash:

“I know I’ve had sillier ideas now and then
But right now I can’t remember when”

From A Knight's Tale


Upon returning from my adventure to the castle and Mycenaean cemetery, we stood around looking for some activity. Upon finding broken fishing rods about, I came up with a silly game. While it lacked both extreme stupidity – like say, Motoball – and extemporaneous genius – like say, Underwater Distance Floating, it still was enough to keep the whole group entertained for a few minutes.

Upon return of my trip to the “brown signs” on the Argostoli Road, I found Damien pondering a fiberglass pole. He wondered if he could use it as a spear fishing gun, like his other fiberglass pole. (The pole which he has only planned to use as one, in no way has he “made” a spear fishing gun.)

Then it hit me – “bike jousting!”

I put on my helmet and sunglasses. Damien put on his sunglasses and mounted a laundry tub (shield) on his handle bars. The rules were still only vague – no aiming at the face. We made our first pass where the only thing achieved was rendering the shield useless.

The second pass I made contact with his body and then fell myself.

From A Knight's Tale


That’s when the rules were ironed out:

Contact – 1 point
Falling of your bike – 2 points for the other guy
Knocking someone off – 3 points

We were playing to 5 points. The rule-making made the spectators restless. Cecilia declared, “Less talking, more jousting.”

The next pass was 3 points for me as I knocked Damien from his bike.

In the last pass, Damien tried a new tactic. He rode straight at me, hoping it would fluster me enough that he might knock me. While he was able to knock me from my bike; I knocked him as well. Final Score Jesse 7, Damien 5.

Done with knight shift, I had to get ready for night shift: I hope we see a turtle.

From A Knight's Tale

No comments:

Post a Comment