Saturday, July 18, 2009

Mountains, Miles and Mines (7/16/09)

Trip: Outside Gospic, Croatia to Plitvick Jezera National Park
Distance: 40 miles
Difficulty: HARD
Sights: Mountains, Minefields
Miles in Croatia: 320
Total Miles for Bikespedition-2009: 1220

From mmm...maybe not


Before coming to Croatia, I was for the US signing the landmine treaty. Now, however, I am beginning to see the Pentagon’s point. I mean nobody can cross over that no man’s land if the mines are there.

Look here at Croatia. There is this lush valley that once had lots of farming and husbandry. You still see the long since decayed villages and rusted barbed wire that represented those arts. However, in this land of mountains and sandy coasts, nobody can use these lush valleys for that purpose anymore. The remaining landmines from a war 15 years ago make sure of that. Nobody’s gonna cross over that no man’s land; landmines have certainly solved the problem of a war that ended before a third of this country was born!



Other than my fear of landmines when I stopped for water there is nothing terribly exciting to report – except for Lubovo Pass. It should have been easier than the pass I went over yesterday – but the day after a metric century over the mountains kills you. Lubovo Pass is 970 meters – the highest point reached on a bike during Bikespedition-2009. The mountains were tough.

After Lubovo there were two more mountains. It was then that I realized that I lost my map and t-shirt. Well, I didn’t lose them; I know exactly where they are – at a lonely crossroads on the other side of Lubovo Pass.

From mmm...maybe not


The last 8 miles were a lot of fun – all down at least 5% grade to the Korana River. Then it was only slightly uphill to AC Korana (The official campsite for Plitvicke Jezera).

Tino Pai!

Jesse…

No comments:

Post a Comment