Monday, July 6, 2009

The Hill (6/17/09)

From the Environmental Center in Katelios to Base-Station Turtle in Mavrata is 3 km. However, it is also 175 meters in altitude gain. While this is only a 6% grade, about 1.5 km of it makes up about 150 meters of the gain.

The first day Damien challenged me to a race up the hill. He sprinted out down the relative flat of the Center to Ano Katelios/Mavrata split. Yet, slow and steady, I won the race. My time was 14:15; Damien’s was 16:10.

Since then we have shaved off considerable time from our personal bests. I took it down to 14 flat and then 13:50. Damien had taken his all the way down to 14:15.

On Tuesday the 16th, Damien arrived in the house as a readied for my shift. He points to his watch saying – “Did It!”

I looked at the watch and sure enough – 13:24!

Well, I had a shift in the evening the next day. (It’s way too hot to go for the record between about 11 and 7). I was going to try to beat his time. I through all the effort I had into getting up the hill to Mavrata – every pound, ounce and gram. I did not even bother to look at my time all the way up. When I crossed into Base-Station Turtle, I read the time 12:48!

While I might go to break that record by the end of the month, I may just wait to see if Damien can top mine beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment