Monday, July 27, 2009

Worst Day of Bikespedition (7/23/09)

Trip: Duga Resa to Zagreb
Distance: 78 miles
Difficulty: Impossible
Sights: Not much
Miles in Croatia: 568
Miles in Bikespedition-2009: 1478

Time: 10:15
Location: Camp Slapic, Duga Resa
Distance from Camp Plitvice, Zagreb: 55 km
Miles cycled: 0

Easy day in front of me all I have to do is cycle through the valleys 55 km and get to my next camp. I tried to check my email then I was off! (My stupid computer wouldn't start!)

Time: 11:15
Location: Karlovac Grad
Distance from Camp Plitvice, Zagreb: 45 km
Miles cycled: 8

After many vague directions, I finally found my way to an internet cafe in Karlovac. Now only 45 km to go.

Time: 12:15
Location: Hills outside Karlovac
Distance from Camp Plitvice, Zagreb: 50km
Miles Cycled: 18

I don't think this is the right road, I keep going around in circles by this church!

Time; 13:15
Location: ???
Distance from Camp Plitvice, Zagreb: ???
Miles Cycled: 26

Now, I'm definitely lost. Stopped for water and a square.

Time: 13:45
Location: ????
Distance from Camp Plitvice, Zagreb: ???
Miles Cycled: 32

Well, that same church is over there now. I can't get to it. Hey - a sign to Karlovac. Well, I can go back and start over.

Time: 14:30
Location: Karlovac
Distance from Camp Plitvice, Zagreb: 45 km
Miles Cycled: 37

Now back in Karlovac, got a map; got directions from one of the window washing girls to the road I need. "That way, in autobahn go left." (hope she meant "at autobahn.")

Time: 15:30
Location: Beneciti
Distance from Camp, Plitvice, Zagreb: 35 km
Miles Cycled: 47

Whew! finally on the right road to Zagreb. (As an fyi "Zagrad and Zagreb are different places.

Time: 16:15
Location: Ceglje
Distance from Camp Plitvice, Zagreb: 28 km
Miles Cycled: 51

Stopped for water and a square outside a farm. Heard a weird "pop!" as I rode away; but the bike seems okay.

Time: 17:00
Location: Jastrebarsko
Distance from Camp Plitvice, Zagreb: 21 km
Miles Cycled: 55

This last stage has been a whole lot of work, I don't get it. Oh, the trailer is broken! Its only be held together by a single pin and pure habit. Well, take these last hills slowly.

Time: 18:30
Location: Lucko
Distance from Camp Plitvice, Zagreb: 5km
Miles Cycled: 68

You know you're in trouble when the directions you get include the question: "Can you ride that thing over a field?"

Well, I'll finish my Karlovacko and watch Xena in Croatian before I ride across the field.

Time: 19:00
Location: Lucko
Distance from Camp Plitvice, Zagreb: 3km
Distance Cycled: 73

I rode through the field.

Still lost. The two women are arguing about directions. The guy is drawing directions. None of them speak English. Good he's done.

It involves riding through the woods.

Time: 19:30
Location: on the other side of the fence from Camp Plitvice
Distance from Camp Plitvice: 5 meters
Distance Cycled: 77

I get it. You can only really get there from the highway. I've ridden through the woods, over the field, forded a river. Now I have to take the whole shabang apart and throw it over the fence!

Time: 21:30
Location: Camp Plitvice
Distance from Camp Plitvice, Zagreb: -
Distance Cycled: 78

After all that riding, off roading and stroganoff, I'm exhausted! I'm gonna sleep well to...

No comments:

Post a Comment