Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Through Lush Achaia (5/26/09)

From Akrata - Patras

My cycling companion for one day, John Littleford, and I

Date: 5/26/09
Distance: 49 miles
Sights: Eghio, Diakpto and the Rio Bridge

I decamped rather early, riding out to Akrata toward Patra. I stopped by the Caves of Heracles. Unfortunately there was no easy route up to them. Then I rode onto Eghio.

In Eghio, another rider came up next to me. He was John Littleford from Wilkes-Barre and Portland, OR. We stopped at a little place for beer and tapas. Then he and I continued on the road for most of the afternoon. Although John nicked my trailer at one point and went down kind of hard. (An old Greek Ya-Ya came out of her house to make sure he was okay.) The three of us had a good laugh.

About 8 km from Rio, John and I parted ways. He needed a break before tackling the daunting bridge to the mainland

From Akrata - Patras


I continued on into Patra. I found my hotel, unpacked Schwarzfahrer and showered. Then I wandered the city for most of the afternoon. I found my way to the huge Church of St. Andrew (supposedly one of the largest in the Balkans). There, as my custom, I lit a candle for Mel.

From Akrata - Patras


I spent the next day wandering through the streets again, but off the main area near the cruise terminals. I found my way to the Roman Odeon and through the fortress of Patra. While its large, its nothing comparable in size to that of Akrokorinthos or at Nauplio. I made the whole circuit around the fort in about half an hour.

From Akrata - Patras


Tomorrow, I'm off to Ancient Olympia.

No comments:

Post a Comment