Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Across the Isthmus - Athens to Corinth (April 25, 2009)



Trip- Athens to Corinth
Distance - 68 miles
Sights: Temple of Aphrodite, Aegean Sea, Kinnetta Beach & Corinth Canal
Difficulty: Moderate

First light was 6:45, so I awoke early on Saturday at the hostel. By 6:30, I had Schwarzfahrer fully loaded. With 65 miles to go, I wanted to get out of the city before most of Athens had awoken from the night before. My google directions this time did at least get me out of the city.

I rode through the awakening streets of Athens and out into the burbs. At one point I lost the google maps (of course). But I knew that I had to find the Athens-Patra old National Road. With a mixture of basic astronomical knowledge and two years as a classics major, the trip should be a breeze.

My simple goals were “find Megara; find Isthmia; find Korinthos!” Sure enough my plan went without a hitch.

For most of the National Road it was a winding empty stretch that was like the Pacific Coast Highway. (I can only imagine most Greek Car commercials were filmed here.) If I kept the Aegean on my left, I’ll eventually find my way to Isthumia.

I rode through great little beach towns and fishing hamlets. The fishermen – or maybe some sort of professional sellers – had set up stalls right on the road. Squid, octopus and fish were on display. About midday, and 40 miles in, I began to tire. That is when I went over a hill overlooking Kinnetta. Kinnetta Beach looked like white sand against the perfect blue Aegean.

I stopped and walked knee deep into the Aegean. It was a great respite from the heat of riding. The cool blue waves washed my legs and I dunked my head into the sea. After, I was refreshed and able to push on almost to Isthmia.

When I got to the canal, the bridge was down - down as in drawn, however. The end bridges on the Corinth Canal are not classic drawbridges. Instead of going up to allow ships in, they sink deep into the canal. I had fourteen minutes to wait. I met an Australian guy; he gave me a good amount of advice for both my time in Greece and specifically how to ride to Vrachati from Korinthos.

I crossed the bridge and eventually made to it Korinthos. After briefly losing the road I wanted, I fought my way through Korinthos. I reached the bridge the Aussey wanted me to avoid and took the right to the beach. Just keep the Gulf of Corinth on my right!

I went a bit down the coast. Tabernas, cafes and bars lined the beaches and cool sea breezes kept me going. I was riding down the beach for a good bit. I started thinking, I must be close to Vrachati by now I’m thinking. I stopped a guy:

“Vrachati?”

“You are in Vrachati. What are you looking for?”

“Vasilius Street”

“I don’t know. Who are you looking for?”

“Peter Beech.”

“Ahh… I know this man, he teaches English.”

“yes”





This man was nice enough to give me directions to the house and I found my apartment for the next month. Then showered and slept. Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment