Sunday, May 17, 2009

Jesse Bear goes to the Argoloid (5/3/09)

From Jesse Bear in Greece


Jesse is too busy studying, so he asked me to write his blog about the Argoloid, well…

Hmmm. . . I was loving my annual awakening from hibernation. Boston is great for that. The temperature is cool and I can share coffee with my buddy, Jesse. Unfortunately I was uprooted from the pleasant weather of New England and taken across the pond to the Peloponese. Its hot and dry with very few berries and no salmon – un-bear-able!

Well, last weekend Jesse and some of his new friends went on a trip over the Peloponese. We went to ancient Nemea and saw the ancient columns, and the old stadium! Jesse and his friend Simone both sprinted across the track of the ancient stadium – it was fun to watch.

Next we went to the real ancient Mycenae – the home of Agamemnon! There we saw the ancient palace and crumbling buildings of the Bronze Age. Jesse took my picture in front of the Lion’s Gate. Why didn’t Agamemnon use the Bears’ Gate?

We also saw the Treasury of Atreus across the street. Jesse said it wasn’t a treasury at all. Instead, it wasn’t a tomb. I found no honey or berries – sure enough no treasure! (Apparently, Heinrich Schliemann lied to everybody.)



Our next stop was Nafplio. Jesse and his friends commented how beautiful the city was. Jesse’s friend Kelly commented how she was ready to move there – just tell her boyfriend to grab the dog and his stuff and meet her there.

Jesse and three of his friends made the hike up to the Larissa – or fortress – over looking the city. We walked of the “999 steps!” We were way up there! I swore I could see parts of Greece that had trees and were bear friendly. Jesse and I ate rabbit at a taberna in one of the squares of Napflio, mmm. . . rabbit! It didn’t taste as good as catching your own rabbit, but. . .

From Argoloid 2


We then all piled back into the bus and went back to Korinthos, with no berries, only palm trees and no salmon, just squid!

But, I have to learn to like calamari and grin and bear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment